Occupants, including children, escaped unharmed after a fire destroyed a seven-bedroom residential apartment at Nkontwima in the Ashanti Region’s Tafo Municipality.
The presence of children and adults in the house when the fire broke out around 9 a.m. on February 18 drew the attention of neighbours who came to help.
- 73yr-old man burnt to death in fire outbreak at Akyem Asuboa
- Lyon fire: Ten dead, including five children
When the fire became too intense and spread to other rooms in the apartment, firefighters were called in.
Narrating the incident to Citi News, Bremang Fire Commander, D.O 3 Selase Prosper Avevor blamed the cause of the fire on a deep freezer “which had most of their food items and was connected to an extension board and the socket to which that extension board was connected to had a fault which was being worked on. It resulted in sparks and because there were many materials in the room that was combustible, the sparks triggered and ignited the fire and because there were no gabbles in the house too, the fire quickly spread to other rooms in the house.”
D.O 3 Selase Avevor also stated that the fire was able to cause such extensive damage because the residents of the apartment tried to fight the blaze on their own until it was too late to call the Fire Department.
“They were trying to tackle the fire on their own without drawing our attention. If they had called the Fire Service early, we would have been here to contain the fire.”
He advised the public to be cautious when dealing with naked fires and electrical faults, and warned that high voltage-consuming gadgets should not be passed through extension boards to prevent such fire outbreaks.